About Us

My photo
Welcome to The Holistic Parent Book Reviews. We are avid readers of anything parent or health related. There are tons of books out there. Unfortunately, the most excellent books worth reading cannot be found at the local library. It's easy to spend great deals of money on books the library does not carry, only to be disappointed when the book comes and was not what you were expecting. We hope that by giving our opinions on various books we read, it will help others to decide whether a book is worth the time or money. Our blog is run in conjunction with our website www.theholisticparent.org, and much of our information on our website is also supported by books we review here. Happy Reading!

Monday, February 21, 2011

The Doula Guide to Birth By Ananda Lowe and Rachel Zimmerman

I was impressed with this book. It is well written, objective, and chocked full of information. As a labor and delivery nurse and doula myself, I can verify this information is spot on.

One thing I enjoyed in this book is the discussion of when epidurals and Cesareans happen, but were unplanned. I recently attended a birth in which my client wanted a natural birth, but after extenuating circumstances and over 30 hours of natural labor, she opted for an epidural. What I was reminded of from this experience is that there are times when interventions such as an epidural or even a Cesarean do become necessary, and it is important to remember this is not a failure. The goal for a natural delivery is usually to avoid unnecessary intervention, but since labor is neither predictable or controllable, it is so important to recognize some interventions do become necessary in some circumstances. I love how this is addressed in this book.

Another concept discussed in this book that is often overlooked in other books is belly dancing during labor. This was very interesting to me. The authors highlight how it’s done and the benefits. I can’t say I’ve tried it myself, but I do remember during my labor with my daughter, how important it was for me to move my hips. I had to move the intense energy I felt, so I spun my hips in circles. I can imagine this concept of belly dancing would be beneficial in the same way.

This book also gives labor support techniques and assistance with writing a birth plan. The information is comprehensive.

There is information in the book on how to find a doula, though I felt this section was a bit lacking. I would have liked there to be a little more focus on the importance of a doula, especially a birth doula, and I felt there just wasn’t enough discussion on this.

My only other complaint was a lengthy discussion on walking epidurals, which I was a bit hesitant on the accuracy of the information presented. Perhaps, there are different approaches to epidurals, but the way I understand them is an epidural is an epidural. The anesthesiologist can adjust the medication, therefore giving a lower dose in some cases, but the way the medication works for each woman is different. Some woman won’t get relief from the lower dose, and it’s not going to be possible to “walk.” Walking epidurals were once touted as a great innovation, but are becoming outdated. A walking epidural is not the cure-all answer.

For the most part, I felt this book was great. If you’re interested in learning more about birth and the importance of doulas, then this is a book to move to the top of your list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Frogmama Baby Carriers