About Us

My photo
Welcome to The Holistic Parent Book Reviews. We are avid readers of anything parent or health related. There are tons of books out there. Unfortunately, the most excellent books worth reading cannot be found at the local library. It's easy to spend great deals of money on books the library does not carry, only to be disappointed when the book comes and was not what you were expecting. We hope that by giving our opinions on various books we read, it will help others to decide whether a book is worth the time or money. Our blog is run in conjunction with our website www.theholisticparent.org, and much of our information on our website is also supported by books we review here. Happy Reading!

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Mother Rising By Yana Cortlund, Barb Lucke, Donna Miller Watelet

This book is a guide to creating a Blessingway ceremony for a mom to be. I loved the concept of this book. I love the thought of a Blessingway and have had the privilege of partaking in a Blessingway ceremony, yet to me, this book fell flat. I had high hopes this book would be an exciting read. I opened it with great anticipation, but my comments for it fall somewhere along the lines of “don’t waste your time.”

For one, this book was very New Agey. I’m not into all of that. We don’t have to call God “Spirit.” Why can’t we just call Him what He is: God. This review is not meant to argue religion, but I can safely say the majority of people believe in God, not “Spirit.” So, while the authors tried to cater to all religions with a vague term such as Spirit, they neglected their main audience: women who believe in God since this is the majority. A Blessingway is meant to honor the mother and can easily be done without the need to invite dead relatives or pray to the “Goddess.” I would have liked less of that hogwash and more ideas on ways to honor the mother.

I was also disappointed with the lack of ideas of exactly what to do with the Blessingway. It’s just my opinion of course, but the authors managed to say a whole lot of nothing in the book. Save your time and money, it’s not hard to figure out what to do. At a Blessingway, provide lots of yummy food for the guests, tell everyone to bring a bead to make the mother a labor bracelet to wear during her birth, provide everyone with a take home candle to light when the mother goes into labor, get a bellycasting kit, give her a massage, paint her belly with artistic henna, wash her feet, write poems for her and read them aloud, tie everyone’s wrist with a string they can’t cut off until the mother gives birth, etc. There’s really not a whole lot more to it than that, and you certainly won’t find more suggestions in this book.

The one thing I can confirm the book did well was list recipes for the event. Most of them make my mouth water and I do plan to try them for the next Blessingway event I host.

Oh well… maybe another book, another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Frogmama Baby Carriers